Contact Us Today (770) 249-4405

The DDS FORM 1127 Sticker

What if the officer put a sticker on my DUI citation?

This sticker is called a DDS Form 1127. It serves as your temporary driving permit for 180 days. Don't lose it!

The DS-1127 is very different from other forms issued in DUI cases; in fact, approximately only 2% of those arrested are issued a DS-1127. According to DDS, these are only issued in one circumstance, "[a]t the time a law enforcement officer takes a person's driver's license for an alcohol concentration in violation of O.C.G.A. §40-6-391 but less than the level for an administrative license suspension under O.C.G.A. §40-5-67.1, the officer shall issue a 180-day temporary driving permit. This permit shall be valid until the expiration of 180-days or until the person's
driving privilege is suspended or revoked." In other words, you're only supposed to get one of these if you blew less than 0.08. 

In practice, we find officers also give these out when someone has done a blood test (and the results aren't back yet). 

What if I my case isn't closed and the 180 days has run out?

In order to have your driving privileges extended beyond the 180-day period, you will need to file a petition with the judge who hears your criminal case.

According to DDS: "When the sticker expires and the case has not yet been adjudicated, the customer should go to the closest DDS Customer Service Center (CSC) with the letter or notice from the court/solicitor that the case has not yet been adjudicated and the citation showing the 180-day sticker issued at bottom. The DDS team member will contact the DDS help desk who will issue a temporary permit (like the ALS permit), which will be faxed to the customer while at the CSC, with the original placed in the mail to the customer."

In other words, we have to get a document from either the Judge or the assigned prosecutor saying your case has not yet been resolved. You take that letter to the DDS and they'll give you a temporary permit (that is like the ALS permit). 

NOTE: Driving after this 180 days has run out (and without getting it extended as explained above) could result in additional penalties, so ensuring you're on the right side of the law is strongly recommended.  

If you have questions about the DS-1127 form or appealing your license suspension before 180 days lapses, fill out the 100% confidential form. Or, call us at 770-249-4405

This is your life. Let us fight for it.

If you are facing criminal charges, you are in the right place. Give us a call at 770.249.4405, or send us a message.